What exporters need to know about Brexit in 2018
The negotiations for leaving the European Union have been going on for almost a year already, but what have we actually learnt so far about the potential effects of Brexit?
The Institute of Export & International Trade and Enterprise Europe Network give an overview of the challenges and opportunities that UK exporters will face in 2018 as the negotiations continue and hopefully progress.
The webinar provides an update on some of the key issues around the UK’s leaving the EU that we also tackled in 2017. Following the previous webinar, we also released a 12-point checklist for companies starting to plan for the different potential outcomes of Brexit. You view this checklist here.
If you need any further support in planning for Brexit, Mike Josypenko from the Institute also runs Post Brexit Planning workshops, details about which can be found here: http://www.export.org.uk/page/PostBrexitPlanning
FAQs about Brexit
We answered some of questions asked using our FAQ offering (part of our Ask the Experts helpline). The questions answered were:
- What will the tariff implication of Brexit be?
- How will SMEs prepare for new documentary requirements after Brexit?
- Will there be a replacement for MADB for UK businesses?
- Should we set up an EU based subsidiary post Brexit?
- What are the particular implications of Brexit for the food exports?
If you have any further questions about Brexit – or exporting in general – you can use the Institute’s ‘Exporter Helpline’ service.
The helpline is either free for Institute members or can be accessed for a small fee by non-members. More information and access to the helpline can be found at:
Poll on impact of Brexit on EU business relationships
During the webinar we asked attendees whether Brexit had impacted on their relationships with European partners yet. Interestingly, most people said it hadn’t.
50.2% said it had no significant impact, with 25.7% saying no impact at all. Only 10.5% said there had been a negative impact.
- Notices from the European Commission on the legal and practical implications of Brexit: https://ec.europa.eu/info/brexit/brexit-preparedness_en
- Horizon 2020 funding: https://goo.gl/Dwpmo7
- EEN events near you: https://goo.gl/uUgn8U
- EU Law Monitor newsletter: http://bit.ly/2rhiLWP
- Government updates on IP and Brexit: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/ip-and-brexit-the-facts
- Brexit to do list for UK companies on the Financial Times: https://www.ft.com/content/a9204df0-da84-11e7-a039-c64b1c09b482
Backed by the IOE&IT
Open to Export webinars are powered by the Institute of Export & International Trade – the UK’s only professional body representing international trade.
Catch up with all of our webinars at opentoexport.com/webinars