Applying for export licences

Trevor Wood (Interexport Management Systems LTD) takes a look at how to find out if your goods are on a control list. Claire Harrison and Michelle Sullivan (Export Controls Office) also run us through how to apply for an export license.

You can watch the video of the webinar below, and check out our Recent Webinars page to access all the Open to Export webinars giving practical guidance and answers to all your exporting concerns.

Why open a SPIRE account

  • Provides a single end-to-end licensing system
  • Has many uses such as licences and open general licences
  • Gives access to the control list search tool

Standard Individual Export License (SIEL)

  • These are used when an open general license is not available and is used for specific goods and specific quantities
  • The licenses will last for a maximum of 2 years, however if you apply for a temporary license then it will only last for one year and it can be revoked.
  • It will take a maximum of 60 days for the application to be processed but has been known to take 20 days, which means that you can start exporting very soon after the application process.

How do I Know if my goods are on a control list

Types of Goods

There are two types of goods that are recognised under the control list, so you need to know which area your goods fall under.

    1. Military Use Goods – this is a good that has been originally designed for military use or could be one that has been modified to be used by the military.
    2. Dual-use Goods – this is a good that has been designed for commercial use but that can be also used for military use as well.

You can use the Goods Checkerto find out under which category your export falls under and what license you will need to use.

Export Action Plan