What paperwork or certification is needed to export treated timber components from the UK into the USA?


We produce a forestry sawhorse product which uses a fully treated (chemical preservative) timber component.

We would like to export our product into the USA but can’t seem to find the relevant permit/certification application details online.

Our product would be sold direct from ourselves in the UK to the end user in the US through a forwarding and logistics company.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! neil@truncator.co.uk



You might find this article helpful, published by US Customs & Border Protection:

The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) regulates the importation of wood and wood products. The link should take you to the "Permits" page:



You will also need a commercial invoice.

Your freight agent will complete a customs entry on your behalf – this is a legal document so it is important that you give him correct and complete information and instructions and then check a copy of the export entry to see that it is as you instructed. Amongst others important elements will be goods’ value, tariff code, CPC code, goods’ origin.

You can look up the tariff code at https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff


(T) 0784 1133027

Export Action Plan