What paper work do we need to complete for exporting Bottles of Beer to EU and Non Eu Countries?


We have been asked to export our beer to Germany, Switzerland, Japan and Sweeden. We have tried to understand HMRC’s web pages to try and find out what paper work we need to complete but we seemed to be going round and round in circles. We know that we have to complete Form Ex75 "Notice of intention to claim drwaback" but after that we get lost with EMCS, CHIEF, NES etc.


Dear Steve,

Further to your question, Embassy are a freight forwarder to various brewers shipping to the Far East. If you can drop me a line with details of the customs status for the beer, we can advise you further.

kind regards,

Sean Butler


Dear Steve
we take it you intend on paying duty on exiting the bond warehouse on shipments unless
the consignee in Germany or Sweden are going to pay duty at destination,
Give us a call on 01263 513127 or send us email colin.crown@ntlworld.com and we will
try our best to help further especially on the freight side of things
Best regards
Colin.Crown Freight ltd


Information regarding the export of beer to the EU can be found in section 23 of Notice 226 “Beer Duty” a copy of which can be obtained from our website www.hmrc.gov.uk > Quick links – Library, Official Statistics > Publications > Notices, Information Sheets and other reference materials > Excise duties, environmental taxes and other duties and taxes > Yes to open site > Scroll to Subject Heading > Public Notices

Notices are listed in number order.

For exports of beer outside the EU, you will need to prepare and submit a Customs export declaration.

Export declarations have to be submitted to the Customs computer system known as CHIEF (Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight) electronically. Details of the current requirements for completion of the declarations can be found in Volume 3, Part 1.9 of the UK Tariff however we would recommend that you contact a freight forwarder who can prepare and submit declarations directly onto CHIEF on your behalf.

You will need to obtain a Customs commodity code for the goods, and depending on the type of goods involved, you may require more than one.

More detailed information on the above can be found in our Public Notice No.275 and section 24 of notice 226 copies of which are available from our website at www.hmrc.gov.uk > Quick Links – Library, Official Statistics > Publications > Notices, Information Sheets and other reference materials > Import, export and international trade > Public Notices > Yes to open site > Scroll to notice required if necessary.

Notices are listed in number order.

*continued in next answer

Export Action Plan