what documents are needed to ship wine to Hongkong


I am shipping a pallet of expensive wine to HK which need to be cleared there asap. What docs are necessary? Are there any requirements as to the labelling the consignment?


Hi there
Clearance on wine can add a day or two to the customs process at the receivers end. Not aware of any specific legislative labelling required as such, but the shipment will need to be accompanied by a full commercial invoice and will need to state it’s alcoholic volume (%), its vintage, its brand/producer and its origin. Protective packaging is something that will probably require huge attention given that it is glass. I would also make sure that the goods are covered in ‘Fragile/Non Stack’ tape/stickers. If the receiver does not have an Import License then the duties and taxes will need to be paid for upfront and before delivery, but once payment is made, delivery is normally straight after.
Hope that helps.


Information on the Customs requirements for exporting are given in HMRC Public Notice 275, which can be found on our website www.hmrc.gov.uk under Quick Links > Library > Official Statistics – Publications – Notices, Info Sheets & Other Reference Materials > Import, Export & International Trade. The Public Notices are in numerical order.
Information regarding customs requirements and paperwork required for the exporting of wine outside the EU can be found in notice 197 “Excise Goods: receipt into and removal from an excise warehouse of excise goods” this is also available on our website www.hmrc.gov.uk > Quick links – Library, Official Statistics > Publications > Notices, Information Sheets and other reference materials > Excise duties, environmental taxes and other duties and taxes > Yes to open site > Scroll to Subject Heading > Public Notices

Notices are listed in number order.

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs International Trade & Excise


Wine importation into Hong Kong is not subject to duties and there are no certification requirements, including warning or responsible drinking messages, Certificate of Origin and any health certificates. Hong Kong does not have any duty on liquor with less than 30 percent alcoholic content.

Fruit wines and drinks with alcoholic strength by volume of 10 percent or more are exempted from Hong Kong’s labelling requirements specified under the Food and Drugs (Composition and Labelling) Regulations.

Alcoholic strength must be labelled on every container of liquor that is imported into or manufactured in Hong Kong for local consumption. If the liquor is imported into Hong Kong and not removed to a warehouse, the container has to bear the alcoholic strength when the liquor is removed from the ship, aircraft, train or vehicle on which it is imported.

UKTI Hong Kong

Export Action Plan