We manufacture hairdressing products. I have been told that in order to sell products to Israel we have to have an independent report or certificate of GMP. Is this correct?


I have had enquiries from Israel about my products and have been told that each product has to be registered with all the ingredients etc. but it is the first time I have come across this GMP requirement.


Dear John,

Thank you for your question.

I have contacted my UKTI colleagues in Tel Aviv for a response.

In the meantime, the Export Control Organisation might be able to point you in the right direction. https://www.gov.uk/about-the-export-control-organisation


Jennie Rich


Dear John

We operate a weekly service to Israel and checked with our agents in Israel who advised that for local customs purposes there the certificate for GMP is not required. The importer buying the goods should be aware of what they need or our agents can guide them if you would like to pass details to me for me to pass on. If you prefer i can give you our agents details and you can pass them onto the Importer.

If we can help you with rates for mocing the shipments please feel free to contact me.

Kind regards
Dave Eales e mail [email protected]
Excel Shipping Limited
Tel 01708 515151


Dear John,

I searched the Procedures and Formalities section on the Market Access Database (http://madb.europa.eu/) for you. It is a good website which tells you about import duties and any special paperwork needed when sending goods outside the EU. I choose Israel and searched on "Shampoo".

This did indeed show a requirement for a GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) certificate to clear customs. It also gave contact details for the responsible body for pharmaceutical products and cosmetics – the Ministry of Health, Pharmaceutical Administration, 29 Rivka Street, P.O. Box 1176, IL-91010 Jerusalem, phone numbers: +972 2 5681200, 5681392, 5681352, fax numbers: +972 2 6725820, 6725827

You (or perhaps your customer in Israel) should contact them first – detailing the product (ingredients, cosmetic or medicinal aspects etc) and confirm that a GMP certificate really will be required to enter the country.

IF a GMP certificate is needed you should contact MHRA (Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency) here in the UK. They do inspections and provide certificates. I’d contact the Borderlines Team in the first instance 020 3080 6759. (Borderline team determines whether a product is medicinal or not).

Lastly, the MHRA inspections needed to gain a GMP certificate can be costly (£thousands not hundreds). There can be financial help with the preparation work needed to pass an inspection and the Manufacturing Advisory Service are your first port of call regards that. See this webpage in relation to that –

Kind regards,


Stephen Belshaw
Export Development Adviser,
UKTI East Midlands
0845 052 4001

Export Action Plan