Mains & Battery Powered Products in Japan



Do products need PSE certification or to satisfy any other regulation to be sold in Japan if they can be powered by both battery and mains power? Or can they be sold without PSE certification if they are not supplied with the mains adaptor and are sold under the condition that they must be powered by batteries only?

Thanks very much,



Hi Christina,

The most useful resource for you will be from the Japanese Government department, METI, that provides information on these issues. Please see:

Whether your product is required PSE certification or not will depend on the category of your products specified by METI’s list.

JETRO, a METI’s subsidary organisation, has an office in London and help you with PSE issues. Please see:

And for more general information to help you in the Japanese market, please see:

Export Action Plan