How do I find out what my UK entity is equivalent to in the USA?


We are a limited company in the UK wanting to sell to the US but we need to be set up with the secretary of state and they need to know what we are equivalent to over in the states. Any advise would be appreciated.


My business – UKP Worldwide – specialises in tracked postage solutions for etailers, so if you are looking for any distribution advice it would be great to hear from you
Guy Cliffe
[email protected]
07747 271676


You can submit a request for a commodity jurisdiction (CJ) determination. The request should be addressed to Mr. William J. Lowell, Director, Office of Defense trade Controls. The process can take 4-6 months.

Hope this info helps you out.
Michael Parkinson


Doing business in the U.S. is not as simple as in the U.K. as there are many issues to consider, including legal and liability protection, taxation, etc. There are no good “do it yourself” solutions – the type of entity you choose and how the setup works may affect how much tax is owed both to the U.S. and UK authorities, whether you can easily transfer employees, to what extent you may have product liability issues, etc. While we do not offer incorporation and tax services, please contact me directly at [email protected] and I will be happy to refer you to the appropriate persons based on our particular needs.

Export Action Plan