Hi I am trying to find out the health certificates needed for Exporting Food and supplements for reptiles.


We have a pet accessories business which actively promotes exporting our goods. Recently we have had a lot of interest in our reptile brand, specifically from Northern Cyprus and Saudi Arabia.

I am finding it hard to get an answer for the correct certificates needed to accompany the Reptile food and supplements. Are health certificates sufficient or are vet certs necessary?

Please can you give me a contact rather than referring me to websites as I am finding them too general to cover this specialist product.

Thank you



I am happy to help here.

The requirements for Cyprus and KSA will vary greatly and be dependent upon the products you are exporting.

Please could you supply some further information on your products? Especially the reptile food.

If this is commercially sensitive data you can email me it in confidence – [email protected]

Upon reciept of the above information I can cross reference your goods against the relevant countries requirements and provide some guidance.

Kind regards



Dear Sue,

Whilst each country has it’s own requirements which you have to adhere to, a lot of the websites advising on Animals and Animal Products are more for meats, skins, by products etc, rather then feeds. As Gemma has advised it all depends on what your actual product consists of, and if you are willing to advise more details I would be happy to see what else I can find out for you and also look to quote your for any up and coming shipments you may have.
Please feel free to contact me directly on 01932 565225 or email me on [email protected]

Trust in order
Best regards

Trust of assistance


Dear Sue

Many thanks for your enquiry regarding exporting reptile food and supplements to Northern Cyprus and Saudi Arabia. The exact nature of documentation/certification required is dependent on the requirements of the importing authorities.

In order to export animals or animal products outside the EU, the destination country will frequently require guarantees that the product complies with their sanitary (public health) and animal health rules. One means of assurance often used is the Export Health Certificate (EHC). This document, which accompanies the goods, is usually signed by a veterinarian acting on behalf of the Government. The EHC makes various assurances about the consignment and reflects the import requirements of the importing country at the time the certificate was agreed with them.

The Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency (AHVLA) Specialist Service Centre for Exports in Carlisle is responsible for providing export health certificates where these exist. AHVLA works on behalf of the Department for the Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra) and the Scottish and Welsh Governments. If you contact the AVHLA directly they will be able to advise you on whether the necessary certification is already in place. Where a certificate is not already in existence, they will have to be negotiated by Defra with the importing country. However, these negotiations are lengthy.

Here are the direct contact details for the AVHLA team that deals with pet food exports:

Miscellaneous Products Team
(Exports of pet food, hides & skins, wool, pharmaceutical products and other miscellaneous animal products)
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 01228 403600 (Option 6)

Good Luck in your endeavours,
Best Wishes

Export Action Plan