Exporting to central africa


Currently I am in retail business in UK but I am interested and working towards starting an export business of commodities like sugar, oil, flour etc. to central Africa like Rwanda and also I would like to be distributor of a beer company there, I have started doing the research for the destination but I need help for
1- what type of license do I need to have to export those goods?
2- How can I find a distributors contract?
3- As I am new to the market I need any step by step information you think is helpful or I must know to start the business any information is appreciated.
Thank you in advance


Dear Johannes

Thanks for your enquiry.

To export the commodities sugar, oil and flour (agricultural products) you would need to obtain licence from the Rural Payments Agency (RPA) – you will need to register as a customer/trader with them in order to export. Please see more details and further advice here: https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-licence-to-export-agricultural-products
They are also on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Ruralpay

Best wishes


Hi Johannes,

Have you had any contact with UK Trade and Investment before?

We are a specialist government organisation set up to help small businesses like yours to export from the UK.

We have a regional office in the North East and have a specialist food and drink advisor who would be able to help you with your questions.

Furthermore we have contacts at British Embassies throughout Central Africa who would be able to help you source contacts on the ground.

Please contact me on 0845 05 05 054 (or reply with your contact details) and I would be happy to explain in more detail how we can help and arrange an appointment with your local trade advisor.

Many thanks,



Hi Johannes

I have a friend who is well connected in the commodity business in West Africa. He is based in London. If you would like me to put you guys together, let me know and i will make the introduction

Export Action Plan