Exporting to Ascension Island


The Ascension Island Government have ordered one of our charcoal retorts. What do we need to do regarding export licences etc


Dear Geoffrey,

Thank you for your question.

UK Trade & Investment don’t have any representation in Ascension Island. However, I’ve managed to find their Government website. Here is the contacts page. http://www.ascension-island.gov.ac/contact-us/

The Export Controls Organisation should also have information on licencing requirements. Here is a link to their contacts page. http://blogs.bis.gov.uk/exportcontrol/contact-the-export-control-organisation/

Hope that this helps.


Jennie Rich


Ascension Island is a British Overseas Territory (Politically part of St Helena) and as such you will meet few problems shipping a charcoal retort apart from finding a cost effective way of transporting the goods. Send four original invoices with the normal details (Customer, price, description and origin of goods, commodity code, transport details).

You won’t need an export license but keep proof of shipment so you can justify zero rating your invoice for VAT


Information on the Customs requirements for exporting is given in HMRC Public Notice 275. All notices can be found on our website www.hmrc.gov.uk under Quick Links > Library > Official Statistics – Publications – Notices, Info Sheets & Other Reference Materials > Import, Export & International Trade. The Public Notices are in numerical order.

HM Revenue & Customs

Customs International Trade & Excise


Export Action Plan