Exporting small consignments of food products outside of Europe


My query is regarding exporting a premium chocolate product to countries outside of Europe. The weight of our typical consignment is about 10 kilos therefore I am assuming we should use a courier company.

I am aware that it is my responsibility to comply with food regulations however I would like to understand what my responsibilities are with respect to customs procedures. I have looked at the Market Access database for various countries and can clearly see the documents that are listed under the ‘procedures section’.

My question is this what information/documents do I need to supply to the courier company with? What documents will the courier company organise on my behalf? What specific document/information do I need to supply? (The Market Access database does not make it clear who does what)


Talk to your courier company – they will know exactly what is required. This is why I use TNT as they may cost more, but they are really helpful.
Hope that helps



Where documentation will depend on where exactly are you planning to export?

If you want to export into Africa, let me know. I can offer you help with clearance at the airport etc.



Hello Simon

Information on the Customs requirements for exporting is given in HMRC Public Notice 275. All notices can be found on our website www.hmrc.gov.uk under Quick Links > Library > Official Statistics – Publications – Notices, Info Sheets & Other Reference Materials > Import, Export & International Trade. The Public Notices are in numerical order.

Further detailed information regarding exporting goods outside the EU can be found on our website by using the following link:


You may find the Export Best Practice Guide particularly helpful

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs International Trade & Excise

Export Action Plan