Exporting pesticide



I am bottling a pesticide which is licensed in the UK for amateur use. I have inquiries from USA and Italy. Can I export this product, and do I need any special paperwork? ( It is a moth killer for carpets)

Thank you


Hi Robert

A starting point would be to establish the harmonised commodity code for your product using the online UK Trade Tariff:


When you have your commodity code you can check with the Export/Import licencing branch of BIS to establish what controls, if any are in place for your product:


I would image your product will come under controls and may be deemed as dangerous goods therefore It is also advisable to check and see what UN packaging regulations are in place for your goods:


If you subscribe to an international trade procedures guide such as Tates or Croners you can also cross reference your products against each individual item/consideration
of the relevant countries profile page.

Hopefully by taking an hour or so and undertaking the above research you will have a better understanding of how to export your products.

Should you need any guidance or assistance you can email me – info@export-expert.co.uk

Kind regards



Information on the Customs requirements for exporting is given in HMRC Public Notice 275. All notices can be found on our website www.hmrc.gov.uk under Quick Links > Library > Official Statistics – Publications – Notices, Info Sheets & Other Reference Materials > Import, Export & International Trade. The Public Notices are in numerical order.

I would also suggest that you contact the Italian & American Customs Authorities to ascertain if there are any import restrictions on such items.

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs International Trade & Excise

Export Action Plan