Exporting Infant formula, food and care


I am planning to export infant formula (baby milk), food and care outside EU, mainly to Asia countries. Could anyone confirm with me whether I do need some sort of wholesale licence or permit from the UK before I can export these? Really appreciated if anyone out there can provide me with the relevant links and details so that I can look into it.

As with exporting goods outside UK, I understand that an export licence is required. Do I still need to physically apply for one export licence before I can export this goods given that nowadays this will be cover by the foreight forwarder.

Any thoughts? Many Thanks.


Hi Cherry,

You would need to be at least registered with the HMRC as an exporter, as a minimum require. This would then allow you to be put into the CHIEF system. In cases where the goods to be exported are not listed under the controlled goods, you may not require a licence. However, as I said earlier, contact HMRC and the ECO (Export control Organization).


Dear Cherry

I don’t think you will require export licenses for the shipping of these products but
it is very likely that the importing countries will require import licenses and may be
approval from their Food Import Regulators.
If we can be of any help on the freight forwarding side on things such as freight rates
etc please contact us directly on 01263 513127 or by email ; [email protected]
We look forward to hearing from yourselves
Best regards
Colin ; Crown Frt


Information on the Customs requirements for exporting is given in HMRC Public Notice 275. All notices can be found on our website www.hmrc.gov.uk under Quick Links > Library > Official Statistics – Publications – Notices, Info Sheets & Other Reference Materials > Import, Export & International Trade. The Public Notices are in numerical order.

A more comprehensive guide to importing / exporting can be found on our website by selecting ‘Import and export’ from the home page and then scroll down to ‘Guide to importing and exporting: Breaking down the barriers’.

I would also suggest that you contact the Customs Authorities in the destination countries to ascertain if there are any import restrictions on such items.

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs International Trade & Excise

Export Action Plan