Exporting British Cars to Malaysia



I have just returned to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from Bristol, England last month of August 2014 after successfully completing my LLB degree. My friend who is settled in Bristol and who sells used cars is interested in reaching foreign markets.

He asked if I could help him reach the Malaysian market. I would like to team up with him and work this out. Has anyone exported cars to Malaysia?

I would like to connect with other automotive exporters in this space and learn from their experiences if possible.

Thank you very much for your time.



You would strongly be advised to contact the UK Trade and Investment (UKTI) in the first instance, they have advisors in most countries and will be able to advise you accordingly. Their website is https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-trade-investment
I hope this will give you a good basis to start – also ask your colleague to link up with the overseas British Malaysian Chamber of Commerce as they will be a good source of local information – http://www.bmcc.org.my/

Best wishes


Sarah, thank you so much for the kind reply. I have emailed UKTI and awaiting reply. I have informed my colleague about acquiring info from the British Malaysian Chamber of Commerce.

I am aware that there are hurdles of taxes, duties and regulations in the process but I am serious about learning the industry. I am aware also that in Malaysia the AP ( approved permit ) is only given to bumiputra ( native Malays ). I am not a Malay although I am a Malaysian citizen, born and raised in Kuala Lumpur.

I am hoping to connect with a bumiputra carrying an AP and build a success relationship with.

I am looking forward to getting started.

Thank you again. 🙂



I work for UKTI in Kuala Lumpur. In order to import a car for personal use, an ‘Approved Permit’ is required. However, the car must remain for personal use and cannot then be sold on within Malaysia. Additional documents are also required. These are described below in text taken from a Malaysian government website:

•Have a valid work permit for the country
•Be importing the vehicle for personal use only; the car cannot be sold or transferred in Malaysia
•Export the car out of Malaysia when employment in the country ends

To import a car, an application must be made to the Ministry of International Trade and Industry (MITI) for an Approved Permit. This is an importing licence. The car to be imported must have been registered in the home country of the person applying. The following documents are needed to support a letter of application addressed to the Ministry:
•A completed JK69 Customs Clearance form
•A passport and Malaysian visa
•A Malaysian or international driving licence
•Proof of ownership of the car
•The original and a photocopy of the vehicle registration documents
•Insurance documents
•A work permit for Malaysia and a letter from the applicant’s employer in the country

Processing of the application and issuing of an Approved Permit, which is valid for three months, usually takes about seven days.”

My advice is to first contact MITI (Tel: 603-8000 8000/ Fax: 603-6201 2337/ Email: [email protected]) in order to get their current guidance on what requirements there are to be licensed to sell imported cars in Malaysia.

Once you have done this, UKTI can assist you with this and all other relevant matters. If you find that it may be easier to work through a company that is already selling imported cars in Malaysia, we can help you identify potential partners.

My colleague who leads on automotive is contactable at [email protected]

Wordpress Popup Plugin Free Export Action Plan