Export of antiques to the US


Can someone please help me with any relative information I will need for the export of Antiques to the US. Paperwork, customs documentation, rules and regulations etc.

Thanks in advance


Hi Christopher,

In the U.S., imports are regulated by Customs & Border Protection (CBP). From CBP’s website:

"For U.S. Customs and Border Protection purposes an antique must be over 100 years of age at the time of importation. Antiques classified under heading 9706 in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) are duty-free, provided the importer has proof of the goods’ age (i.e. the year of manufacture).

Certain items, namely original artwork, pearls, semi-precious and precious stones, stamps, coins, and collector’s pieces (see 9705 for details) should be classified under other provisions of Chapter 97, (or 71 for stones) even if they are antiques.

For more information on duty-free treatment for antiques, please reference the HTS under Heading 9706 (See link below to PDF) and our Informed Compliance Publication for antiques publication (See link below to PDF).

A formal entry is required for antiques imported for resale if the value of the combined shipment is over $2000."

Helpful documents to download:

Harmonized Tariff Schedule under Heading 9706:

Comprehensive CBP Informed Compliance Publication for antiques publication:

If you have additional questions, you’ll need to contact CBP directly:

Office of Customs & Border Protection Customer Service Centre: (001) 703 526 4200

Brittany Banta, Vice Consul – Consumer Goods – UKTI USA


Dear Christopher,

Both of the answers above are very good & relevant.

The UKTI office has given you details of import regulations in the USA, but you should also check whether you may need any export permits to allow the goods to leave the UK. These may be required for some antique products, although this usually depends on how rare they are, and whether they have particular historical or cultural significance.

If in doubt, you can visit: https://www.gov.uk/do-your-goods-need-an-export-licence , or contact the Export Control Office of the Department for Business Innovation & Skills at tel: 020 7215 4594 or by email on eco.help@bis.gsi.gov.uk .


Information on the Customs requirements for exporting are given in HMRC Public Notice 275. All notices can be found on our website www.hmrc.gov.uk under Quick Links > Library > Official Statistics – Publications – Notices, Info Sheets & Other Reference Materials > Import, Export & International Trade. The Public Notices are in numerical order.

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs International Trade & Excise

Export Action Plan