Export a new chemical entity into China


I work for a Chemical Manufacturer in the UK.

A chinese company is interested in one of our products ~10tonne/annum. Our Agent in China has suggested the following:-

if we import this material at the name of “rubber vulcanization accelerant”, it doesn`t request to process the toxicity/environmental tests with this import method.

The HS code we shall use is: 38121000 of China Customs. FYR.

Because this is a new chemical I would have thought that we needed Chinese regulatory approval to Tier 1 regular notification.

Can anyone advise?



Kelvyn, could you please confirm the port or city you are exporting to and I will check out what local procedures apply in China.



It would be useful to check with the Customs office at planned port of entry to confirm they agree with the HS code(s) you plan to use. If disagreement, you might consider hiring a customs or import agent to visit the office and discuss to see if that helps.
You are correct in double checking testing/certifications/approvals (toxicity/environ…) that might well be required.
Depending on the specific make-up of your product(s), and the industry(s) it is used in, other formalities might be required. A few examples – register as an exporter into China (pretty easy), if a new chemical to China you may need to register via Chemicals Registration Center (connected to Customs), possibly also need to go through Center for Disease control…

China Britain Business Council (CBBC) can provide certain of these details, and recommend partners/agents to work with in China as part of our Overseas Market Information Service delivery on behalf of UKTI. Either your local UKTI representative or I can walk you through the process and fees for this service.

Jim (CBBC in Beijing)


Information on the Customs requirements for exporting is given in HMRC Public Notice 275. All notices can be found on our website www.hmrc.gov.uk under Quick Links > Library > Official Statistics – Publications – Notices, Info Sheets & Other Reference Materials > Import, Export & International Trade. The Public Notices are in numerical order.

I would also suggest that you contact the Chinese Customs Authorities to ascertain if there are any import restrictions on such items.

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs International Trade & Excise

WordPress PopUp Plugin Export Action Plan