Do I need an import licence from Russia to supply rubber based anti vibration products?


Rubber and cork based sheet and sized products.


Hello George

90% of products imported into Russia require some form of certification. The requirements for this, like import duties, are all based around TN-VED commodity codes (which differ from the HS codes used elsewhere), so the first step is to establish what these codes are for your products and, on this basis, it is possible to establish exactly which certificates/licenses are needed. You can approach Russian customs yourself to find this out or you can refer to independent agencies for assistance (we have a lot of experience in this area ourselves).

Generally speaking, it is quite a simple process and should not be too time-consuming or expensive (there are some exceptions, but in the case of your products it should not be difficult). Lack of transparency and accurate up-to-date information has however created a situation where many companies charge far more than they should for advice on this subject, so please be aware of this and talk to lots of people/companies before giving anything away to a third party.

I would be happy to share some more information on the subject; feel free to get in touch.


Charles Swain
Albion (Overseas) Ltd
+44(0)1732 783555


Dear George,

For up to date information on Russian import formalities for your product you may wish to refer to Market Access Database (it is possible to make search by country and by product code).
Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Rufina Baybulatova
Trade Advisor
UKTI Russia


As above, generally no. The document you will have to submit will be a Certificate of Conformity. This says that you comply with Russian regulations, which, as above, can be tracked down by knowing the HTS code and its Russian equivalent. The first point of call being the Market Access Database. There is a strategic issue about owning the Certificate. Some are awarded for single shipments. Some are awarded for one year or three years. You may chose. If you let your importer pay for and own the certificate, you can be locked into the relationship for three years. Russian customs are strict about the intellectual property involved in brand names. In Russia, the brand name owner can control the distribution channel, unlike the EU where any buyer in the distribution channel can sell to anyone. It is better to own the certificate yourself.

Export Action Plan