Do I need an export license?


Do I need an export license if I want to export food and beverage products (soft drinks, confectionery, cheese and other dairy products) to middle eastern countries such as UAE, Egypt, Lebanon etc?


I suggest you post this question to your local UK Trade & Investment office using the online enquiry form to be found on




Hi Sam
The Export Control Organisation is the only organisation that can provide definitive "yes" or "no" answer as to whether a company needs an export licence. However export licences in the main are required for military and dual-use goods. There are also some controls of goods to countries which are subject to sanctions. For full information look at:
As you are looking to export food & drink, it is unlikely that you will need an export licence. However, there may be some restrictions or regulatory requirements in the countries that you are looking to export to. For example some ingredients may be banned, or there may be a requirement for re-packaging or re-labelling for overseas markets.
If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me, I work in the UKTI International Trade Centre in Bristol.


Dear Julian

We specialise in seafreight and air freight to the middle east so once you have established what papers you need or if you need any further help in relation to paperwork please contact us for rates to move your shipments.

Kind regards
Dave Eales e mail [email protected]
Excel Shipping Limited
Tel 01708 515151

Export Action Plan