Do I need an export license for laboratory reagents that contain animal proteins like antibodies and albumins?


Do you need an export licence to export laboratory reagents that contain animal proteins like antibodies and albumins ? What are the rules for EU compared to non EU.



Thanks for posting your question. In ref to export licence you can speak directly to the government who issue them on 020 7215 5805

Hope that helps.

[email protected]



To check for yourself about whether the antibodies / reagents are controlled, use the Goods Checker Tool

This operates on the basis of a simple search term eg “chemical agents” or “agents”. Check the search results and read the descriptive notes about the items.
There are a number of chemical agents listed with further information about Human Rights List Article 5 goods.

If the tool identifies items included in the UK Military List eg chemical pre-cursors etc you will require a licence irrespective of the destination. If the tool identifies items listed on the EU Dual Use list, they will require a licence for export outside the EC.

This is a simplistic overview, for further information please see:




Information on the Customs requirements for exporting is given in HMRC Public Notice 275. All notices can be viewed on the GOV.UK website at by typing ‘Notice 275’ in the search box and selecting the following links from the search results: > Notice 275 “Customs export procedures” a guide to UK export procedures using the National Export System.

Further detailed information regarding exporting goods outside the EU can be found by using the following link

I would also suggest that you contact the Customs Authorities in the importing countries to ascertain if there are any import restrictions on such items.

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs International Trade & Excise

Export Action Plan