Do I need an export licence to exports cars and components to Africa?


I want to export vehicles (civilian) and motor parts to Africa, Mostly Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda.
Do I require an export licence?



It is good to know that you have an interested in the Kenyan market and also the wider East Africa region. In order to import anything in to Kenya, there are various Customs procdures that have to be met in order to have the goods cleared to enter the country. There is what is called (PVoC) which is Pre-verification of Conformity which is conducted on behalf of the government of Kenya by Intertek and SGS. Once the conformity standards are met, then one is issued PVoC certificate. This is in place to protect consumers in Kenya.

Thank you.



Dear Jag Patel
export licenses for these areas are probably not required for the shipment of motor vehicles
(civilan) and parts to east africa.Some of these countries to operate pre shipment inspection
requirements and possible restrictions on vehicle ages.Perhaps your receivers can help on this matter.
We can help with the freighting of the vehicles and parts pse contact us directly on 01263 513127 or by email .
best regards
colin ; crown freight ltd


Information on the Customs requirements for exporting are given in HMRC Public Notice 275. All notices can be found on our website under Quick Links > Library > Official Statistics – Publications – Notices, Info Sheets & Other Reference Materials > Import, Export & International Trade. The Public Notices are in numerical order.

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs International Trade & Excise

Export Action Plan