Custom documentation


I will be driving to Norway from the UK carrying some tools for a project. These are used parts and tools that will be returning to the UK at the end of the project (Two weeks). So this is a temporary import.
the equipment is:

Ground survey equipment – 90.15.401000
and a helicopter mounting – 88.03.300010

What documentation do I need for customs?


Hi John,

For the situation you describe of tool and equipment being taken abroad temporarily I would suggest an ATA Carnet document is one possible option. The ATA Carnet is used as a passport for goods and negates the need to pay import and export duties when travelling between countries. They can cost several hundred pounds though so you may wish to consider if it’s worthwhile.
Once issued the Carnet can be used over a 12 month period and for multiple trips.

I suggest speaking to a Chamber of Commerce who would be able to issue the ATA Carnet for you. You can apply online at and lookup chamber contact details there too.

Hope this helps.


An ATA Carnet may be best suited to your requirements. An ATA Carnet is an international customs document that can be used in different countries around the world to cover temporary use of goods without payment of customs charges. It simplifies customs clearance of goods in exporting and importing countries by replacing customs documents that would normally be required and provides a financial security for customs charges potentially due on the goods that will be used in the countries visited.

Further information can be found in Notice 104 ‘ATA and CPD Carnets’ which can be viewed via the following link:

Notice 104: ATA and CPD carnets


The Notice can also be viewed on the GOV.UK website at by typing ‘Notice 104’ in the search box and selecting the following links from the search results:

Notice 104: ATA and CPD Carnets > Notice 104: ATA and CPD carnets.

HM Revenue & Customs

Customs International Trade & Excise

Wordpress Popup Plugin Free Export Action Plan