Continuing in this series of the top 10 FAQs that UKTI receives, we’ll explore the next topic of UK/US trade:

UL / CE Markings

Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) usually Underwriters Laboratories (UL), certification is generally what is required in the United States for products that will be used in the workplace, and European products that have CE markings.  US agencies that do not recognise CE markings typically require UL or another NRTL certification but UL is the most prominent. UL is not just about safety, but quality as well, and its standards can be viewed as more stringent than CE.

While UL isn’t necessarily a ‘legal’ requirement, many companies, states, and municipalities will not purchase goods that do not have UL certification, and some do legally mandate it.  While it’s not mandated at the federal level, NRTLs do fall under OSHA – the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which regulates workplace environments.  It can be costly to become UL certified, but many overseas companies find it necessary to have the UL stamp in order to do business in the United States.  Here are some general guidelines and rules regarding UL product certification.

UL reps are very knowledgeable, and can walk you through the certification process.  The contact details for the UK office are as follows:

Underwriters Laboratories
Telephone: +44 1483 302 130
Fax: +44 1483 376 4848
E-mail: [email protected]
Below are some additional helpful links:
-UL Certification and the different types of services they offer: here 
-UL Testing Services: here
-UL Marking and Labelling Systems Program: here

Hope you find this information useful!

Countries: United States
Topics: Getting Started, Legislation & Regulation, and Product Development
Export Action Plan