USA Import duties & taxes

Question posted by Candice Meskin, on behalf of Quintessential Tips Limited in TR1

Will my client in America have to pay import duties and taxes etc for promotional booklets produced, sold and despatched from the UK?

Report inappropriate content

If it is sold, it implies that there will be an invoice.
if so then they will pay import duties and taxes on that invoice, just as if I paid a printer here to make me promotional materials and leaflets and business cards. is the U.S.Custom website should help your client calculate the taxes.

Report inappropriate content

HMRC Advisor, on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs in G67.

Information on the Customs requirements for exporting is given in HMRC Public Notice 275. All notices can be found on our website under Quick Links > Library > Official Statistics – Publications – Notices, Info Sheets & Other Reference Materials > Import, Export & International Trade. The Public Notices are in numerical order.

Further detailed information regarding exporting goods outside the EU can be found on our website by using the following link:

You may find the Export Best Practice Guide particularly helpful.

I would also suggest that you contact the US Customs Authorities to ascertain if there are any import restrictions on such items.

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs International Trade & Excise

Report inappropriate content

Sue Marsden Gilpin, on behalf of UK Trade & Investment USA in United States.

Dear Candice,
Thank you for reaching out through the Open To Export portal. Similar to the above, please see a link where we provided information about customs:

Diana Lau

Report inappropriate content

To respond to this question, please Login or Register