Import & export

Question posted by Mikael Aziz, on behalf of Yahya A. in E6

I want to start import export business of medicines from Europe to Africa. I'm pretty sure I'll need a license but which one i don't know and where to apply I don't know either. Plz any help!

Report inappropriate content

Dear Mikael,

Thank you for your question.

It would be useful if you could specify which markets in Africa you are interested in and also whether you propose to export your products from the UK or elsewhere in Europe.

My colleagues in UKTI here in the UK as well as the British Embassies and High Commissions overseas will then be able to respond to your question more directly. Further information about the help we can offer is available here:

It may also be worth having a chat with a local International Trade Advisor who will be able to advise you on how to get your export business started, Here is a link to the contact details for the London team:

Hope that this helps.



Report inappropriate content

HMRC Advisor, on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs in G67.

Information on the Customs requirements for exporting is given in HMRC Public Notice 275. All notices can be found on our website under Quick Links > Library > Official Statistics – Publications – Notices, Info Sheets & Other Reference Materials > Import, Export & International Trade. The Public Notices are in numerical order.

I would also suggest that you contact the Customs Authorities of the country of importation to ascertain if there are any import restrictions on such items.

A more comprehensive guide to importing / exporting can be found on our website by selecting ‘Import and export’ from the home page and then scroll down to ‘Guide to importing and exporting: Breaking down the barriers’.

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs International Trade & Excise

Report inappropriate content

To respond to this question, please Login or Register