I wish to export live fish to China

Question posted by Barrie Evans, on behalf of Edmund Evans in GL1

What do I need to do to ship live fish to china and what restrictions are there. ie Export licence etc

Report inappropriate content

Dear Barry

Not all products can be exported to China at the present time and for those that can be exported, there are a number of steps / requirements that must be met. I would be happy to discuss the process of exporting live fish and meat products (referring to your other question today). I am the food and drink sector lead for China-Britain Business Council. Please feel free to contact me on my mobile 07950390207 or email me on claire.urry@cbbc.org.

I look forward to hearing from you.

With best wishes

Claire Urry
Executive Director

Report inappropriate content

John Lawrence, on behalf of Uniglobe Double S Travel in LU2.

I guess you need a decent fish tank!! LOL.

If we can help with travel for the humans involved, let me know!

All the best Barrie

Report inappropriate content

Michael Fachetti, on behalf of United Commerce Solutions in United States.

Hi Barry,

In regards to your inquiry, I've been working with a Japanese nanobubble/nanotechnology. The device aerates H2O with nano ppm O2. The nano-sized O2 bubbles are small enough to defeat buoyancy and will stay suspended in H2O for about 2-months. Additionally, the O2 is negatively charged, preventing the bubbles from merging. Case studies repeatedly show a 50% increase in yield within aquaculture farms themselves. Moreover, the fish grow bigger, stronger, faster with no need for chemical filtering additives.

Conclusion being, if you're looking to transport live fish, this technology would keep them that way until arriving safely at POD. Please drop me a note, and I can elaborate in more detail.

Thank and Regards,
Michael T. Fachetti
Chief Executive Officer
M: 646.894.0120
Skype: mikey.fachetti E: mikey@unitedcommercesolutions.com
‘The Trump Building’
40 Wall Street, 28th Fl.
New York, NY 10009

Report inappropriate content

Tracy Ruff, on behalf of UKTI South West in Bristol.

Dear Barry
I work for UKTI in the South West of England, I asked one of our International Trade Advisers - Antoaneta Becker, who focuses on China about this question.

She said that for export of live fishery products you will need an export health certificate issued by DEFRA. Only certified Chinese companies will be equipped with the proper licences to import fishery products from the UK.

Tracy Ruff
International Trade Centre Manager - UKTI South West
01275 370766

Report inappropriate content

HMRC Advisor, on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs in G67.

Information on the Customs requirements for exporting is given in HMRC Public Notice 275. All notices can be found on our website www.hmrc.gov.uk under Quick Links > Library > Official Statistics – Publications – Notices, Info Sheets & Other Reference Materials > Import, Export & International Trade. The Public Notices are in numerical order.

I would also suggest that you contact the Chinese Customs Authorities to ascertain if there are any import restrictions on such items.

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs International Trade & Excise

Report inappropriate content

Defra Users, on behalf of Defra in SW1P.

Dear Barry,

In order to export animals or animal products outside the EU, the destination country will frequently require guarantees that the product complies with their sanitary (public health) and animal health rules. One means of assurance often used is the Export Health Certificate (EHC). This document, which accompanies the goods, is usually signed by a veterinarian acting on behalf of the Government. The EHC makes various assurances about the consignment and reflects the import requirements of the importing country at the time the certificate was agreed with them.

The Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency (AHVLA) Specialist Service Centre for Exports in Carlisle is responsible for providing export health certificates where these exist. AHVLA works on behalf of the Department for the Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra) and the Scottish and Welsh Governments.

Where a certificate is not already in existence, they will have to be negotiated by Defra with the importing country. However, these negotiations are lengthy.

With regards to China and exporting fish for human consumption, we currently have three EHCs to cover exports of (i) non-live fishery products, (ii) live bi-valve molluscs and (iii) live aquatic animals (excluding molluscs).

AHVLA will be able to advise on the use of these certificates and you should contact them direct: Hadrian House, Wavell Drive, Carlisle, CA1 2TB, Telephone: 01228 403600, Email: CentralOps.Carlisle@ahvla.gsi.gov.uk.

If you are referring to exporting live fish for the purposes of pets or for propagation, there are no certification arrangements in place. You would need to approach an importer or UKTI in China (or Claire Urry above) to find out what conditions would apply.

Because import conditions can change, EHC can become out of date, so exporters are always advised to check with their importers or the authorities in the importing country first.

West wishes,

Report inappropriate content

To respond to this question, please Login or Register