I need help in Importing to Russia

Question posted by Kim Harpur, on behalf of Natural Dogs in HA4

We are a small family run business based in Middlesex. We sell pet supplements throughout the UK and Europe and have had an order sitting waiting to go to Russia. We have been told that Russia are not accepting new Suppliers on there list of approved suppliers, but our customer in Russia is telling us the opposite.
So my question is Does anyone know how to get on the Russian list of approved Suppliers

Report inappropriate content

Simon Huxley, on behalf of InXpress Leicester in CV11.

Are you looking to send the goods to a business, or a domestic residential address in Russia?
We might be able to help you. Have a look at our Web page.
Kind regards

Report inappropriate content

Steven Obaditch, on behalf of FTBS Group in GU2.

These are the permissions that you will need t be successful.
1. The License of the Ministry of Commerce approved by the "Ministry of Agriculture"- except for dog or cat food, packed for retail sale - obtained before the entry
2. Permission from the Ministry of Agriculture - For products used for animal feed - obtained prior to entry;
3. Approval (in the form of a stamp) from Gosvetnadzor For finished feed - obtained at the border (on the basis of veterinary certificates from country of origin);
The rest are usual import papers.

Two first documents are really difficult and expensive to get so I would advise that you find a company in Russia who specialises in the importation of such products and that have all licenses and permissions.This is the only way to import in my opinion.

I would ask UKTI for help. The contact I have at the embassy in Moscow is Irina.Karabanova@fco.gov.uk. This is not her area of specialism but I am sure she will know someone who can help you find the right Russian partner for this importation.

Report inappropriate content

Steven Obaditch, on behalf of FTBS Group in GU2.

I was curious and looked into this further and it is worse than I thought.

The producing company must really be included in the special register of Rosselhosnadzor (controlling body for foods in Russia). And as far as I understand this register is done on the basis of a list of approved companies that each country exporting pet foods in Russia applies to this Russian body.

It is all rather complex. American pet food producers refused to apply this list considering it an exaggeration and now there is a lack of American pet foods in the market.

I hope this helps.


Report inappropriate content

David Cant, on behalf of Albion (Overseas) Limited in TN9.

Hi, just one additional note to Steven's response:

The documentation you will require will depend on what pet supplements are involved. I am guessing it is not pet food as such, and hence the rules Steven lists may not apply, or may not apply in their entirety. Your Russian customer is most likely to be correct. By the way, the comment from our Moscow office underlined that Russians particularly welcome UK pet products.

The issue of approved suppliers is generally for specific products and industries under State scrutiny and control. It seems a little unlikely that anything pet-related could be under such control, (unless there is a danger that it gets into the human food chain). Baby food & clothing, toys, medicines, agricultural products used for food production, animal feed, etc, ie products which can directly affect human health. Often, foreign companies place themselves on the approved supplier list, just to demonstrate to Russians their openness, which is highly appreciated by Russians in return. So, if your buyers say they are ready to buy, then we would recommend following their lead. We would advise before sending the product, talking to a freight forwarder which specialises in Russia. This point is very, very important, and you should quiz the transport company on their experience. InXpress have said they can help, so it may be worth quizzing them first. The company we use for our own shipments to Russia is Blackthorne Transport, who can handle small consignments door to door, and are definitely worth talking to. Their website is: http://www.blackthornetransport.co.uk/
And finally, with apologies for the lengthy response, I would agree with Steven that the UKTI and the Embassy are worth talking to. I was in Moscow last week and met Masha, whom you can deal with on this issue specifically. Her contact is: Maria.Semchenkova@fco.gov.uk

Report inappropriate content

Dear All,

I have looked into the matter of registration in Russia vitamins and supplements produced by the Natural Dogs company.

First of all, Gost-R is not relevant in this case.

Company should register its vitamins and supplements for dogs with the Russian Veterinary Authority – Rosselkhoznadzor.

List of requirements and documents is available on the official website of Rosselkhoznadzor: http://www.fsvps.ru/fsvps/regLicensing - available only in Russian.

It is important to bear in mind that some significant investments will be required, as follows:

• Obligatory state duty/state tax at the rate of 150000 Rubles (approx. £3000) for each item of supplement or vitamin.

• As a part of registration, it is necessary to carry out some tests - their cost depends on the complexity of formulation of vitamin or supplement (from 20000 to 130000-150000 Rubles equal to £400 - £2600-3000).

Some of the supplements produced in UK are already registered in Russia, and their registration details can be found in the official register: https://irena.vetrf.ru/irena/operatorui?_action=clearRequestsListMedicine – perhaps, this would be useful.

Taking into consideration above mentioned information on registration I would suggest the Natural Dogs company to find a local distributor or representative, who will represent them in Russia and submit all necessary documents in Russian to Rosselkhoznadzor on behalf of the Natural Dogs company.

I hope that provided information was useful.

Should you have any further queries please let us know.

Kind regards,
Maria Semchenkova

Report inappropriate content

To respond to this question, please Login or Register