I am looking to export cider from the UK to Australia

Question posted by Kaye Howard, on behalf of Circle Cider in SN2

I want to export cider to Australia. Please can you tell me about the legislation, law and practicalities in achieving this?

Report inappropriate content

Howard Marsh, on behalf of Descartes in SO40.

Hi Kaye

The first question I have to ask is whether the Cider is duty paid or not? If the Duty is suspended under duty suspension e.g. under excise warehousing then the UK export formalities would include an Excise Movement Control System (EMCS) declaration and a National Export System (NES) declaration. If the Cider is duty paid then the NES only is required and you may consider excise drawback which gives you the duty paid back when you prove to HMRC the goods have been exported outside of the EU.

These declarations can be made using our web based software to allow you to take complete control of that process. We have a strong client base in the Food and Drink Industry and can provide references if necessary. Or visit our web site for more details and testimonials.


Report inappropriate content

Chloe Allen, on behalf of UKTI South West in BS8.

Hi Kaye,

I am contacting you from UK Trade and Investment South West.

One of our Trade Advisors based in Australia will be at Leigh Court on the 27th March and we are booking 1-2-1 appointments for him.

Richard Harper specialises in the food and drink sector and should be able to give you a good overview of the procedures.

If you would like to book an appointment please contact me via email;


Each appointment will last 30 minutes

Kind Regards


Report inappropriate content


Chloe's suggestion of meeting Richard Harper is a good one and you should definitely take up this opportunity.

Here is a link to the EU Market Access database which is the best source of all general and specific requirements, tariffs etc. Just pick the country and your product to get all the relevant information.


Hope this is helpful.

Report inappropriate content

Alex Gibson, on behalf of Ashbury Labelling in SE1.

Hi Kaye,

Please also be aware that food labelling legislation can vary quite significantly from country to country. Ensuring that exported products are legally compliant in their new market is something that a lot of first-time exporters run into trouble with.

If, following your meeting with Richard, this is something that is flagged as an issue to address, please do get in touch with us: we have an extensive international team who are experienced at bringing UK products in line with other countries' regulatory requirements.

You can find out more about Ashbury Labelling, our people, and the kind of services we offer here: http://www.ashburylabelling.co.uk

Best of luck!


Report inappropriate content

HMRC Advisor, on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs in G67.

For exports of cider outside the EU, you will need to prepare and submit a Customs export declaration.

Export declarations have to be submitted to the Customs computer system known as CHIEF (Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight) electronically. Details of the current requirements for completion of the declarations can be found in Volume 3, Part 1.9 of the UK Tariff however we would recommend that you contact a freight forwarder who can prepare and submit declarations directly onto CHIEF on your behalf.

You will need to obtain a Customs commodity code for the goods, and depending on the type of goods involved, you may require more than one.

More detailed information on the above can be found in our Public Notice No.275 a copy of which is available from our website at www.hmrc.gov.uk > Quick Links – Library, Official Statistics > Publications > Notices, Information Sheets and other reference materials > Import, export and international trade > Public Notices > Yes to open site > Scroll to notice required if necessary.

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs International Trade & Excise

Report inappropriate content

To respond to this question, please Login or Register