I am a UK citizen, self-employed costume designer. I want to work self-employed in USA. What visa do I need?

Question posted by Ruth Smith, on behalf of Ruth Smith in EH4

I am moving to USA this autumn with my partner who is taking up a job in New York. I am a freelance costume designer and would like to continue freelancing. What visa do I need to be self employed in the US?