Harmonised Codes

Question posted by Malti Patel, on behalf of Buy British Treats in RG24


I have about 4000 products of food and drink that I am looking exporting around the world. I would like to find an agent that I can provide me harmonised codes for all these products. I am looking for someone in the UK that can help. Does anyone know if there people out there other than the Gov website for the Market access database that can do this for me?

Many thanks


Report inappropriate content


Hi Malti,

We are a general Freight forwarder with a current harmonised tariff in the office. Please email me the details and I will get one of our customs staff to classify for you.

Best Regards

Ian Robery
Business Development Manager
STI Global Logistics Ltd
Unit 1 Lords Court
Cricketers Way
Basildon Essex SS13 1SS
Tel: +44 (0)1268 289653
Mobile: +44 (0)7554 117585
Fax: +44 (0)1268 289649
Email: irobery@stigl.co.uk
Website: www.stigl.co.uk

Report inappropriate content

Hello Malti,
Please remember that as the exporter you will be legally liable for the harmonised tariff codes that are communicated to HM Customs on your behalf even if you get someone else to select them.

The harmonised tariff codes also determine the import duty payable in the destination country and the procedures required to effect the import. Only the first six digits of the code will be recognised around the world. The remainder of the number is locally decided.

The rules for classification are quite complicated and rely on knowledge of the product composition / ingredients not just a high level description. For example some fruit drinks are classified under flavoured water because the percentage of fruit in them is too low to be classified as a fruit drink.



Report inappropriate content

Andrea Sweeting, on behalf of Cotecna Inspection Ltd in TW3.

Good morning Malti
Cotecna would be happy to assist you in this matter. We operate a dedicated Customs Tariff Classification Service (CTCS) details of which can be found on the following link http://www.cotecna.co.uk/en/services/Customs-tariff-classification
We are very experienced in this field and would tailor our service to meet your specific needs.
Should you wish to make contact, please e-mail Classification@cotecna.co.uk or contact myself direct on 020 8277 7703.
Kind regards,
Alison Lumley

Report inappropriate content

James Evans, on behalf of Evans & Smith ITC in Hu18.

Dear Malti,

I consult for a large chemicals manufacturer that are involved in intermediary & finished products relating to food and drink. Part of my remit is classification guidance.
Have you also considered health certificates that may be required for transportation of food & drink products globally? I am well versed in this area should you require any guidance please feel free to email or call.

Email – jamans@outlook.com

Tel - +44 7944 59 88 66

Report inappropriate content

Sandra Strong, on behalf of Strong and Herd LLP in M22.

Hi - there is a lot of guidance on classifying UK HMRC on www.gov.uk/tradetariff. It is your responsibility to get the correct codes by you could look at Europa ebti systems to see if any of your products have already been classified. We will be happy to guide you on how to go about it and train you up in his - check out our Tariff Classification training. www.strongandherd.co.uk/public-training

email me if you want a chat sandras@strongandherd.co.uk

Report inappropriate content

HMRC Advisor, on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs in G67.

Dear Malti

To find the correct commodity code for your goods you can contact our Tariff Classification Helpdesk on (+44) 03000 513777 or by e-mail at tariff.classification@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk

Alternatively, a free online version of volume 2 of the UK Trade Tariff, which contains the Commodity Codes and lists the duty rates, can be viewed here:


Information on the Customs requirements for exporting is given in HMRC Public Notice 275. All notices can be found on our website www.hmrc.gov.uk under Quick Links > Library > Official Statistics – Publications – Notices, Info Sheets & Other Reference Materials > Import, Export & International Trade. The Public Notices are in numerical order.

A more comprehensive guide to importing / exporting can be found on our website by selecting ‘Import and export’ from the home page and then scroll down to ‘Guide to importing and exporting: Breaking down the barriers’.

Kind regards

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs International Trade & Excise

Report inappropriate content

To respond to this question, please Login or Register