Exporting wooden slatted bins from Scotland to San Francisco

Question posted by john hunter, on behalf of Hunter's Promotions Ltd in KW1

My business manufactures golf course furniture and we have an order for wooden slatted litter bins for a golf course in San Francisco - the wood in question is recycled railway sleepers - what restrictions are there for exporting this type of product to the USA from Scotland?

Report inappropriate content

Brad Golder, on behalf of KBR Foreign Exchange Plc in RM18.

have you thought about your foreign exchange? are they paying you in dollers$? if so give please give me a call on 0207 989 0222 and we at KBR Foreign Exchange Plc would love to help,
Best Regards,
Brad Golder

Report inappropriate content

Darren Playfoot, on behalf of ROCHARD SHIPPING LTD in KT15.

I have asked the question to my US agent, they advised they would need to know what the actual type of wood is, if you could let me know some more details, I could pass on and get them to speak with US customs and let you know what they advise.
kind regards

Report inappropriate content

Christopher Willers, on behalf of Access to Export Ltd in CB21.

Hello John
My name is Chris Willers and I run an export services company called Access to Export Ltd based near Cambridge.
I do not believe there are any export restrictions for this type of wooden product. However you may need to provide a Phytosanitary Certificate and the USA importer may need to obtain an Import Permit for Timber and Timber Products from the Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) and also submit a Plant and Plant Product Declaration. I would advise that these points are checked before the goods are shipped so the necessary permits etc are available before the goods arrive in the USA to avoid any delays and problems in clearing USA customs. We can also assist you with the documentation and shipping arrangements once you are ready to ship the goods so if you would like me to help further please feel free to contact directly either by e-mail chris@accesstoexport.com or by phone 01223 890767.
Kind regards

Report inappropriate content

HMRC Advisor, on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs in G67.


Information on the Customs requirements for exporting is given in HMRC Public Notice 275. All notices can be found on our website www.hmrc.gov.uk under Quick Links > Library > Official Statistics – Publications – Notices, Info Sheets & Other Reference Materials > Import, Export & International Trade. The Public Notices are in numerical order.

I would also suggest that you contact the Customs Authorities in the USA to ascertain if there are any import restrictions on such items made of wood.

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs International Trade & Excise

Report inappropriate content

To respond to this question, please Login or Register