Exporting Food to Japan

Question posted by Andy Cleaver, on behalf of i.e. internation ltd in Ox28 5xh

We are looking to export icing sugar with less than 3% sugar to Japan.
We already export to the USA and use the Prior Notice system and have registered our South African food manufacturing facility withe the FDA.
Is there a similar Prior Notice system in Japan?
Does our food manufacturing facility in South Africa need to be registered with the equivalent of the FDA in Japan?
Or are their other requirements?

Andy Cleaver. Director. www.ieinternationaluk.com

Report inappropriate content

Dear Andy,

Thank you for your question.

Apologies for the delay in responding. I've been in touch with Steven Crane from Business Link Japan who is putting together an answer for you. He is working with Akiko Yanagisawa from the British Embassy in Tokyo.

We hope to get a response posted soon.



Report inappropriate content

Andy Cleaver, on behalf of i.e. internation ltd in Ox28 5xh.


Report inappropriate content

HMRC Advisor, on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs in G67.

Information on the Customs requirements for exporting is given in HMRC Public Notice 275. All notices can be found on our website www.hmrc.gov.uk under Quick Links > Library > Official Statistics – Publications – Notices, Info Sheets & Other Reference Materials > Import, Export & International Trade. The Public Notices are in numerical order.

I would also suggest that you contact the Customs Authorities of the country of importation to ascertain if there are any import restrictions on such items.

A more comprehensive guide to importing / exporting can be found on our website by selecting ‘Import and export’ from the home page and then scroll down to ‘Guide to importing and exporting: Breaking down the barriers’.

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs International Trade & Excise

Report inappropriate content

Steve Crane, on behalf of Business Link Japan in I work between Japan and the UK.

Dear Andy,

As Jennie mentioned above, we have been looking into this with the kind help of Akiko at the British Embassy in Japan.

The following information is provided by the Agriculture & Livestock Industries Corporation (ALIC).

Sugar products are subject to import quota and importers are required to register with MAFF.

In general, the following is the process for registered sugar importers to import sugar products:

1 An importer informs ALIC of details of the shipment such as the type of sugar products, volume and value (including the export price, transportation costs and insurance) and submits necessary documents such as an invoice.
2 Based on the quantity of sugar contained and the type of sugar products, ALIC calculates a markup (Choseikin) and sends an example of documentation to the importer.
3 Based on the example, the importer produces necessary documents and pays the markup.
4 Upon receipt of the markup, ALIC sends a sales notice (Baibai Tsuchisho) to the importer, which will be required for customs clearance.

I.E. International’s manufacturing facility in South Africa does not have to be registered in Japan.

There is some information in English on ALIC’s website, which might help you further, see: www.alic.go.jp/english/index.html

If you require a more comprehensive understanding you can contact Mr Shinohara at ALIC (soichiro.shinohara@alic.go.jp).

I hope this helps,
Best regards,
Steve Crane
Business Link Japan

Report inappropriate content

Ryan Beck, on behalf of BF Projects Limited in BT3.


My name is Ryan from BF Projects in Belfast, I would be happy to help with any Export rates that you may need? We work closely with ALL Major shipping lines and can get the best rates in the Market today. You can contact me on the below

02890 371144


Report inappropriate content

Bryony Porcas, on behalf of Flo-FX in E1.

Hi Andy,

My name is Bryony and I work for a company called Flo-FX. We are able to beat corporate bank rates on foreign currency exchange. Due to the fact we are a trading name of Ebury Partners (whose turnover last year was in the region of £1bn), we have virtually no overheads and so can substantially undercut banks and competitors. We carry out all the necessary KYC checks in line with FCA regulations and maintain a fervent desire to ensure all our clients receive the fastest, most efficient service possible.

Please send me an email on b.porcas@flo-fx.com or visit our website at www.flo-fx.com for more information.

Report inappropriate content

To respond to this question, please Login or Register