Exporting dried meat to china

Question posted by Barrie Evans, on behalf of Edmund Evans in GL1

Can you export vacuum packed dried meat to china?

Report inappropriate content

John Lawrence, on behalf of Uniglobe Double S Travel in LU2.

If you need to travel to China to talk to local agents, let me know!

Report inappropriate content

Perry Willis, on behalf of Chengdu Classic Global in China.

Can we have a detailed description of the goods and the HS code No.
Then we can let you know more detail.
In China the rate of import taxes & duties vary some what with this product

Report inappropriate content

HMRC Advisor, on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs in G67.

Information on the Customs requirements for exporting is given in HMRC Public Notice 275. All notices can be found on our website www.hmrc.gov.uk under Quick Links > Library > Official Statistics – Publications – Notices, Info Sheets & Other Reference Materials > Import, Export & International Trade. The Public Notices are in numerical order.

I would also suggest that you contact the Chinese Customs Authorities to ascertain if there are any import restrictions on such items.

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs International Trade & Excise

Report inappropriate content

Defra Users, on behalf of Defra in SW1P.

Dear Barry,

[If you’ve already read the answer to your other question please excuse the duplicated text! you will want to skip to the 4th para.]

In order to export animals or animal products outside the EU, the destination country will frequently require guarantees that the product complies with their sanitary (public health) and animal health rules. One means of assurance often used is the Export Health Certificate (EHC). This document, which accompanies the goods, is usually signed by a veterinarian acting on behalf of the Government. The EHC makes various assurances about the consignment and reflects the import requirements of the importing country at the time the certificate was agreed with them.

The Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency (AHVLA) Specialist Service Centre for Exports in Carlisle is responsible for providing export health certificates where these exist. AHVLA works on behalf of the Department for the Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra) and the Scottish and Welsh Governments.

Where a certificate is not already in existence, they will have to be negotiated by Defra with the importing country. However, these negotiations are lengthy.

With regards to vacuum packed dried meat, it will depend on the origin of the meat. China has not yet granted us EHCs for beef or lamb, but we do have a certificate for pork meat. AHVLA will be able to advise on the use of this certificate and whether it covers your product. You should contact them direct: Hadrian House, Wavell Drive, Carlisle, CA1 2TB, Telephone: 01228 403600, Email: CentralOps.Carlisle@ahvla.gsi.gov.uk.

Because import conditions can change, EHC can become out of date, so exporters are always advised to check with their importers or the authorities in the importing country first.

West wishes,

Report inappropriate content

To respond to this question, please Login or Register