Exporting Confectionery to the U.S.A.

Question posted by ZAKARIYA BUTT

Hi, we are in the process of taking our brand concept of confectionery to the U.S.A.
I was hoping for information on the procedures of
1. Special invoice declarations
2. Special labelling requirements

Also any advice on taxes and duties for Exporting to U.S and duties involved. I am aware of the F.D.A. and some of the requirements. I would like to make sure I have as much information as possible and spoken to the relevant agencies.

I have looked at some of the older posts on similar topics and have contacted some of the people....unfortunately finding it difficult to speak to someone or no reply to the emails.

Would be easier if there was one organisation who could guide you through the process of exporting to countries. All I am finding is that there are so many different organisations that hold the relevant information or advice on different matters, which makes it all rather confusing.

If ayone can help on this subject matter this would be very helpful.


Report inappropriate content

Mike Hunter, on behalf of betterlanguages.com Ltd. in Nottingham.

Hi Zak, can't help on the special invoice declarations question, but on labelling requirements I have a few comments. Please note that I am not a legal expert, and these general comments given in good faith, you are likely to need specialist compliance advice. We specialise in food label translation, and work with compliance companies who have the specialist expertise to ensure compliant packaging. Some general thoughts:
1) FDA labelling requirements are often quite different to European, the likelyhood is that you will need US specific packaging to be compliant.
2) If you decide to market to Canada as well as the US, you will also need Canadian French on pack, with equal prominence to the English.
2) If you have additional languages other than English, the US also has requirements regarding equal prominence, this may be a problem if you have international packaging for a number of markets, and want to include the US.
On the more general issues of exporting to the US, UKTI are the most obvious organisation to talk to, they have specialist food and drink sector specialists in many parts of the UK. They also have in-country staff in the US and many other countries.

Hope this is helpful

Mike Hunter
betterlanguages.com Ltd.

Report inappropriate content

Hi Zak,

We currently work with a range of customes to help them with their labelling requirements. We are the ones that actually print and apply the labels to the products to conform with the destination countries law. We have in the past exported confectionery on behalf of one of our customers to the US and on that we had to produce and Nutritional Table label as this is one of the requirements. We can certainly help you supply, print, apply and load containers in the future.

Like Mike mentioned its probably best to speak to the UKTI as they will more than likely have all the answers but by all means drop me a line and we can chat further if you think we can be of any help.

kind regards, Mark

Report inappropriate content

Paul Bennett, on behalf of British Wonder LLC in United States.

Hi Zak,
If you need any help from the U.S. Side please let me know.
Happy to help where I can

British Wonder LLC

Report inappropriate content

YIN WANG, on behalf of Trexco Int Ltd in SE1.

Hi Zac,

If you have any questions about transportation, please do not hesitate to contact 02070961031, or visit www.trexco.net.

Kind Regards


Report inappropriate content

Lauren Dickerson, on behalf of UK Trade & Investment USA in United States.

Hello Zak,

In regards to regulations regarding importing food and drink to the US you will have to be aware of the regulations set out by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA regulates all the food and drink products being imported into the US and has guidelines for what you need to do (link below). You will have to register your company and food facility plant with the FDA (however in order to complete the registration you will need to have a US Agent). You will also have to adhere to FDA regulations regarding food labelling.

If you need help registering with the FDA there are consultancies that specialise in FDA regulations. Eurofoods Regulatory Advisors and Registrar Corp are both FDA consultancies which should be able to help with any FDA registration and label approval.

Useful links:
-Registering with the FDA http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/FoodFacilityRegistration/ucm073706.htm
-Labelling guidelines http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/LabelingNutrition/ucm064904.htm

Please let me know if you have any other questions.


Report inappropriate content

To respond to this question, please Login or Register