exporting cakes into russia

Question posted by jeffrey forsyth, on behalf of JJ's coffee house & speciality cakes in TS28

i have been asked many times from clients if i can send wedding cakes,novelty cakes and special event cakes to russia . what do i need to do too be able to succesfully achieve this

Report inappropriate content

Steve Norfolk, on behalf of Freightair Ltd in LS18.

Obviously, you need to make sure of a couple of things first. Payment terms is important.(Make sure you get your money prior to departing the goods!) But also to guarantee that the shipment is kept safe, I would recommend Poly-Boxes for shipping, although very strong tri-wall boxes might also be suitable, depends exactly what sort of quantity you are shipping. You want to avoid the airlines mis-handling them, as they are obviously of a fragile nature.
If you want to send us an email, we have an office in Newcastle and can assist. airexports@freightair.co.uk - There's actually a box with an inner you can get to hold the cakes firmly in place, maybe speak to specialist packers like http://www.jbpackaging.co.uk to see if they can recommend the best way forward. The actual exporting side, you'll need to check with the importer that they have got all licences necessary to import the goods. You shouldn't have a problem if they say there's no restrictions. We can quote the shipping costs when you are ready. Steve

Report inappropriate content

Christopher Willers, on behalf of Access to Export Ltd in CB21.

Hello Jeffrey
A secure method of payment and appropriate packaging are of paramount importance but another important consideration is the documentation that will be required. You will need a commercial invoice, packing list, transport document and a certificate of origin. The commercial invoice may need to be translated into Russian. I would suggest that draft copies of the documents are sent to the importer prior to shipment for checking to ensure there are no problems with Russian customs. We can assist with the preparation of the documentation if required so please feel free to contact me either by phone 01223 890767 or e-mail chris@accesstoexport.com. Also check before shipment that the importer has any necessary licences, permits, registrations etc in place.
I hope this helps.

Report inappropriate content

Richard England, on behalf of Consulting for Export in WD3.

I assisted a company in Wales a few years ago to export speciality cakes to Denmark and France. We looked at several options of shipping and the ones already suggested are sound proposals. The critical "ingredient" is what the cakes contain and the shelf life of the cakes in question. At the end of our research it was decided only to export those cakes that had 6 months shelf life. These cakes typically included fruit and nuts and alcohol and would probably be a close comparison to Christmas cake in the UK. Some were encased in icing and other glazed but each of them contained alcohol, albeit in very small quantities.

Before exporting your cakes to Russia you will require a full analysis of each ingredient and especially if you have alcohol being used as a preservative. This will need to be translated into Russian and verified. Your local Chamber of Commerce that handles export documentation should be able to assist you.

Whoever is responsible for importing the cakes should be in a position to tell you the actual requirements for labelling as this also needs to be considered. The ingredients and name, address and contact details of the importer must appear on any label.

Finally, it is also a question on whether these cakes are going to be consumed immediately on arrival for a special event or whether they are going onto a shelf in a shop or store. This will also determine which cakes you can export. As above, payment should be made upfront into your bank account in Sterling (including shipping costs) and should have cleared before shipping. Also, make sure that you have no responsibility for any import duties at the other end. This must be the sole responsibility of the importer in such cases.

The Russians love cakes and sweets!

Good luck.

Report inappropriate content

HMRC Advisor, on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs in G67.

Information on the Customs requirements for exporting is given in HMRC Public Notice 275. All notices can be found on our website www.hmrc.gov.uk under Quick Links > Library > Official Statistics – Publications – Notices, Info Sheets & Other Reference Materials > Import, Export & International Trade. The Public Notices are in numerical order.

I would also suggest that you contact the Russian Customs Authorities to ascertain if there are any import restrictions on such items.

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs International Trade & Excise

Report inappropriate content

Hello Jeffrey,

Considering the nature of goods to be exported I presume that you will rely on advance payment with regard to your export proceeds.. Inwards payments to UK accounts are subject to a fee and currency conversion rate from your bank which will add on to your financial costs.

One popular method to minimize these costs is to obtain the service of an FSA authorized foreign exchange dealer where the fees are very low compared to the banks and the exchange rate very much in your favor.

As we are one of the specialists in this field if you wish to proceed or need further clarifications, please contact us on 020 7240 1214 or rasika@tegforex.co.uk

Good luck with your new venture.


Report inappropriate content

Dear Jeffrey,
According to Russian Law, about 50% of all products to be sold and/or used in the country require mandatory verification of conformity, i.e. they should be approved by relevant Russian authorities in terms of compliance to national standards. The catalogue of Russian standards can be found at www.gost.ru/wps/portal/pages.en.StandartCatalog. Depending on the nature and application scope of the goods you are planning to ship to Russia, you may need to comply with one or more certification requirements.
Until recently, GOST R Certificate of Conformity, GOST R Declaration of Conformity, Sanitary-Epidemiological Certificate and Rostekhnadzor Permit to Use have been the most common permissive documents in Russia, testifying that products meet necessary safety standards. However, the GOST R system has been gradually replaced by Technical Regulations system. With Technical Regulations (Tekhnicheskiy Reglament) progressively coming into force, The GOST R Certificates and Declarations are being replaced by Certificates/Declarations of Conformity to Technical Regulation’s Requirements. Yet some products may still use GOST certificates. More detailed information on the verification of conformity in Russia can be found at: www.gost.sgs.com/certification_licensing_gost.
Federal Agency on Technical Regulating and Metrology (Rosstandart)
http://www.gost.ru/wps/portal/pages.en. Main
Russian national standardization body and supervising authority in the field of technical regulation and metrology

Rostest www.rostest.ru (in Russian only)

SGS– licensed expert organization and accredited certification body listed in the Unified Register of the Customs Union
Camberley, UK

BSI Product Services www.bsi-global.com

Kind Regards,

Report inappropriate content

Philip Owen, on behalf of Volga Trader in Bridgend, Mid Glamorgan.

As SGS comment, your importer needs a Certificate of Conformity. To get that the importer needs certificates from you in particular a sanitary certificate. If there is alcohol in the product then the importer may need appropriate licences. Bakers shops selling special cakes do exist in Russia but there are not so many of them. We are active in the hotel market. We can help you move expand your custom base.

Report inappropriate content

Hi Jeffrey, Are you still making cakes in Wingate?

Report inappropriate content

To respond to this question, please Login or Register