Exporting baked goods to US & South Korea

Question posted by n patel, on behalf of nila holden in LU2

Hi, I sell baked goods - cakes & cookies via my online Etsy store - which has an international presence.

This week I have two orders for Valentines cookies, one from the US and one from South Korea.

I'm aware that there are customs restrictions/documentation requirements for both countries but am having problems finding someone who can help. So far this morning I've spoken to my local Chamber, UKti, the FSA and the FCO. Help!

Report inappropriate content

Dear Nila
usa.according to info we have received the shipment will subject to usa fda regulations.
korea ; may be subject to quarrantine inspection.
please give us a call on 01263 513127 or email ; colin.crown@ntlworld.com
to discuss the matter further.
best regards
colin ; crown freight

Report inappropriate content

Lauren Dickerson, on behalf of UK Trade & Investment USA in United States.


I am a member of the UKTI USA team here in New York. I recommend that you look at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) website www.fda.gov . On this website you can find out about all the paperwork you would need to fill out as well as how to register your food facility (something that is required by the new Food Safety Modernization Act).

Pleae let us know if you have any other questions regarding the US market.


Report inappropriate content


I work in UKTI based in Seoul, and am writing on behalf of my colleague, Yoonah Lee who is in charge of Food and Drink sector in the market. As far as I know, the Korea Food & Drug Association (www.kfda.go.kr/eng/index.do) has all the related information regarding your questions. Also there are companies who are specialised in F&D importing procedure including the food security test, etc. For more details, please contact my colleague Yoonah Lee at yoonah.lee@fco.gov.uk

Hope this helps,


Report inappropriate content

HMRC Advisor, on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs in G67.

Information on the Customs requirements for exporting are given in HMRC Public Notice 275. All notices can be found on our website www.hmrc.gov.uk under Quick Links > Library > Official Statistics – Publications – Notices, Info Sheets & Other Reference Materials > Import, Export & International Trade. The Public Notices are in numerical order.

HM Revenue & Customs
Customs International Trade & Excise

Report inappropriate content


I already export biscuits to the US. Register with the FDA and ensure you produce a customs Prior Notice for each shipment. It explains it all on the FDA site. You should have no problems.


Report inappropriate content

Greg Seminara, on behalf of Export Solutions in United States.

For USA.............contact Margaret Eckert of Euro Foods Reg.
She is an expert for FDA regulations.

Report inappropriate content

To respond to this question, please Login or Register