Creating useful (and preferably unique) content helps with search engine optimisation (SEO). So:
- Think about the kinds of things your international customers are likely to search for, and develop content that will attract and satisfy those searchers
- Write focused text – ideally, each web page should deal with a single topic rather than mixing lots of ideas together
- Use headings and subheadings to break content down into readable chunks
- Regularly update your website with fresh new content
Organising your website
Organising your content well makes it easy for international visitors – and search engines – to find relevant content:
- Plan your site with a simple sitemap, and include the sitemap online so that every page is easy to find
- Give each page a unique title that accurately defines what it’s about, and a brief description that summarises the content
- Make the page’s URL (e.g. www.mysite.co.uk/a-page-about-SEO) easy to understand
The title, description and URL tend to appear in search results, so the clearer they are the easier it is to see what your website has to offer.
What mistakes should I avoid?
- Be careful with images and other non-text content. Partially-sighted people – and search engines – find these difficult to understand, so make sure your website builder provides text alternatives as well.
- Wherever you have links in your site, use words that explain the link: for example, ‘Yell’s local search marketing directory’ rather than ‘Yell online’. Be careful as well with links out to other websites – if you link to sites engaged in dubious SEO techniques, it could damage your reputation.
With those basics in place, remember to promote your content, helping to attract visitors and links from other sites. Ideas can include:
- Your own blog, social media and relevant online communities
- Including your website address on business cards and marketing material
- Relevant online directories in target countries
The Bottom Line
Best practice SEO techniques include writing fresh, relevant content, organising your website clearly and promoting your website to attract visitors and incoming links.